The reason for this post is trying to be a single point of reference for HP related VMware resources.
I created the list for my personal use while ago but in the hope that it can be useful for someone else I decided to review and share it. I will try to keep the list up to date and also add it as a permanent page in the menu above.
- HP virtualization with VMware – This is the main page about VMware in the HP site. It has dozens of links to White Papers, webinars, podcasts and other HP sites about VMware.
- HP and VMware Virtualization Alliance – The HP-VMware Alliance page in the VMware site. It has several areas that outline the different HP-VMware joint solutions.
- VMware Enterprise Library at HP – Case studies, White Papers and Datasheets.
- HP Insight Control for VMware vCenter Server
VMware on ProLiant
- ProLiant server VMware support matrix – This page is the Rosetta Stone for every VMware installation on HP hardware. It has every HP Proliant Blade/Server cross-referenced in a table with every ESX/ESXi version from the 2.1 to the 4.1. The vSphere tab has also a column about VMware FT support.
- VMware demos in HP hardware – This site has a few interesting videos demoing VMware products in HP hardware.
- ESX4 images for the G7 ProLiant Blades.
- HP sizing tool for Vmware vSphere
- HP Management Agents for ESX 4.x
- HP Virtual Connect Flex-10 and VMware vSphere 4.0
- Cisco Nexus 1000V on HP BladeSystem
- VMware Storage Solutions from HP – Includes the ESX/ESXi 3.x and 4.x support matrices for HP Storageworks systems.
- Running VMware vSphere 4 on HP LeftHand P4000 SAN Solutions – Excellent White Paper, a must for every VMware-Lefthand infrastructure.
- HP EVA and vSphere 4 best practices
- HP XP24000 and vSphere 4 best practices
- VMware vCenter Plug-in for HP StorageWorks Arrays – Great video by Calvin Zito (@HPStorareGuy)
- HP P4000 VAAI demo – Video of the demo showed at VMworld 2010 San Francisco.
- HP StorageWorks drivers – Including the virtualization adapters for VMware SRM for EVA, XP and P4000 systems
- HP P4000 VSA – Product page of my beloved VSA :-)
- HP Client Virtualization – HP main site about VDI, not exclusively about VMware but very intersting.
- HP Virtual Desktop Infrastructure with VMware View – HP VDI solution with VMware View main site.
- HP Reference Architecture for VMware View with HP StorageWorks P4800 BladeSystem SAN
- HP Cloud Map with BladeSystem Matrix for VMware vCloud Director – A demo showing what can be done by combining the HP Matrix and the awesome vCloud Director.
Yesterday’s post about CLARiiON reminded me a similar issue I observed when the storage array is an HP EVA. If you ask for the disk serial number with scsimgr you always get the same number, in fact this number is the serial of the HSV controller.
The key to match your disk in the HP-UX host with the LUN provided by the EVA arrays is the wwid attribute of the disk.
root@ignite:/ # scsimgr get_attr -D /dev/rdisk/disk10 -a wwid SCSI ATTRIBUTES FOR LUN : /dev/rdisk/disk10 name = wwid current = 0x600508b40006cb700000600008bb0000 default = saved = root@ignite:/ #
If you look for this value in Command View will see that is the same as the World Wide LUN Name and the UUID.
### UPDATE ###
Thanks to my friend Jean and to Greg who reminded me that like Greg said in his comment is much easier to match the Word Wide LUN Name with the evainfo tool. Thanks to both of you :-)
root@hpux-server # evainfo -aP Devicefile Array WWNN Capacity Controller/Port/Mode /dev/rdisk/disk20 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-003A-0000 204800MB Ctl-A/FP-2/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk21 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-0042-0000 204800MB Ctl-A/FP-1/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk22 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-004A-0000 20480MB Ctl-A/FP-1/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk23 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-004E-0000 71680MB Ctl-A/FP-2/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk24 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-0052-0000 10240MB Ctl-A/FP-1/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk25 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-0056-0000 10240MB Ctl-A/FP-1/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk26 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-005A-0000 20480MB Ctl-A/FP-1/Optimized /dev/rdisk/disk27 5001-4380-04C7-2D90 6005-08B4-000F-3EED-0000-5000-005E-0000 245760MB Ctl-A/FP-1/Optimized
Where can I get EVAinfo? Like Greg said EVAinfo is distributed on the HP StorageWorks Storage System Scripting Utility CD (SSSU) since 8.0 version. Unfortunately I couldn’t find, yet, a public download URL but the CD is distributed with the hardware so if you own an EVA is probably you already have the media.
Thanks to Jean, man it seems that I owe you more than a couple of beers ;-D, here it is the URL of the CD. You will find the EVAinfo utility inside the HP StorageWorks Command View SSSU v9.2 software ISO.